What is inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)?
- IBD is a term used to describe chronic diseases characterised by inflammation in the gut or digestive tract
- IBD mainly comes in 2 forms: ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- No specific foods are known to trigger IBD
- Approximately 5 million people worldwide struggle with IBD
- IBD rates are rising in Asia
What do people with IBD struggle with?
- Frequent diarrhoea or stomach pain
- Cost of medication
- Lack of social acceptance from family and friends
- Needing regular medication, doctor visits and tests
How to treat IBD
Diagnosis may be done using colonoscopy, CT scan or MRI
Treatment may involve medication or intestinal surgery